“The whole world is my country; and heaven is my home.” - Cornelia Connelly
The Holy Child community welcomes students and families of different faiths and diverse backgrounds. In keeping with the philosophy of our founder Cornelia Connelly, Holy Child values the uniqueness of each individual and fosters a life of service to others. We continually strive to provide the opportunity for a Holy Child education to a diverse group of young women while creating curricula and programs that embrace the multicultural and economic reality of our community, society, and world.
- To work for Christian principles of justice, peace, and compassion in every facet of life.
- To create a learning climate based on trust and reverence for the dignity and uniqueness of each person.
"A student of Connelly School of the Holy Child, will at all times, act with respect, courtesy and honesty. Prejudice based on race, ethnicity, economic status, sexual, or religious beliefs is intolerable.”
During the 2016-2017 school year, we had an active Diversity Club with more than 40 members. Some important activities organized by the students this year included: conversations during and after elections, cultural celebrations (Hispanic Heritage Month, Black History Month, French Week, Mardi Gras, Día de los Muertos, Our Lady of Guadalupe, International Week), acknowledge and discuss diversity identifiers in Homeroom in the Gym, and the Diversity Walk, among others.
All events were attended by students interested in the respective topic. The Student Diversity Leadership Conference in Atlanta was attended by Diversity Club members.
- Leadership Conference, AIMS: Baltimore: November 12
- Student Diversity Leadership Conference, NAIS, Atlanta: December 8-10
- Town Hall Sidwell Friends, January 18
- Diversity on the DMV Conference: February 2017
- GIN Conference, March 14
Faculty and Staff Diversity
In addition to in-school presentations, members of the Teacher Diversity Committee attend several conferences throughout the year.
Teacher Diversity Committee
- Debby Anker - Maker Space Coordinator
- Elizabeth Billett - School Counselor
- Madie Bromiley - Assistant Director of Communications
- Marissa Bulger - Upper School English Teacher
- Karen Craig - Middle School and Upper School History Teacher
- Meghan Cross - Director of Enrollment Management
- Katie Dolan - Writing Center Specialist
- Nora Fitzpatrick - Assistant to the Head of School
- Ben Hatton - Middle School and Upper School English Teacher
- Nawil Jama - Upper School Math Teacher
- Samantha Kerley - Upper School Social Studies Teacher
- Ann Kerrigan - Director of Annual Giving
- Ashley Lowry - Upper School Dean of Academics
- Sonya Payne - Upper School Art Teacher
- Meg Russell - Upper School Religion Teacher
- Laura Volovski - Chief Advancement Office
- Colleen Wealton-Mailander - Middle School Spanish Teacher
Student Life Staff
Dean of Students
Assistant Dean of Students
Multicultural Diversity Coordinator
Middle School Religion/Campus Minister